Sunday 21 June 2009

Strawberry Tea

On Friday we picked around sixteen pounds of strawberries for yesterdays strawberry tea at the village hall. Jean and Norman came just as we got back so we had a nice couple of hours with them before they went off to their caravan. I then proceeded to make another batch of scones for the strawberry tea as J&N had virtually eaten them all. I have been trying different recipes for scones as I didn't want to embarrass myself at the W.I. Anyway I decided that my old faithful recipe, given to me by Jean some 30 years ago, was still the best!
you might like to try these though:-

LEMONADE SCONES;-
3Cups of Self Raising Flour
1 Cup of cream
1 Cup of FIZZY Lemonade

mix all together. mixture will be quite soft.
Turn on to lightly floured board. Do not roll.
make 12 scones
put in a hot oven for about 10 minutes

So yesterday saw us bright and early at the village hall putting out the tables etc. The affair started at 2pm and we sat around for ages thinking that we weren't going to get any customers, but it turned out o.k in the end and we sold out! Anyway the end result was that we made £156.00 profit for the W.I funds.
Then we should have gone to another hog roast in a nearby village but the sky went black and it looked like rain, so we didn't bother. besides there was football on t.v.!
Today has been mainly sunny so we have been sitting outside for some of the time. Today is fathers day and Gina got Graham a special bottle of whiskey with his name on it, and it's 51.9%.
It's about time she wrote her blog again so that we can keep up with events.
My hens are still sitting on the eggs. We should get the first lot sometime this week if we are going to get any. fingers crossed.
sheila x

3 comments:

The Saif's Journal said...

Sheila, will try the scone recipe. I remember an ozzie friend of mine giving me the scone recipe with lemonade but never got round to trying it.

sonia said...

what sort of cream is it? single, or double etc, no sugar or baking powder? I would probably make a mess of it.
Tell the girls to hurry up and hatch we may have a day out to visit when they do?

Mike Saif said...

I love strawberries. I have them almost every day for breakfast. I would love some locally picked ones.