Wednesday 1 April 2009

Pesky Tina the chicken!

What a performance every morning in an effort to stop the hens laying other then in the nest box! I let them out, but only into the compound until they have laid their eggs. This is turning out to be counter productive because the other hens are getting confused. Tina and A.N. Other are the main culprits and I don't want them to set a bad example so if I think those two have laid then I let them out into the field but follow them to watch where they go. Yesterday they still tried to get to where they had made a lovely nest, (which Graham has destroyed) so I locked the two culprits in the hen hut to teach them a lesson!
Anyway today the Tiresome Two had laid before I let them out so hopefully they have got the idea. Because they are truly free range now, they have gone wild and I hardly have to feed them at all.
I have been asked to be a cake judge at the Alford Horticultural Show which I did last year. I have never eaten as much cake, or felt as sick afterwards. I shall have to try and do it differently this year and save myself for the splendid lunch which I was unable to face last year!
I have also been asked to organise a village fete for August 2010. This is to be a massive undertaking so I need to have discussions before I commit myself.
Must go. I have a tray apple bakewell in the oven.
Sheila x

1 comment:

sonia said...

Farmer Rainthorpes hens used to lay eggs in the ditch in front of our bungalow all the time.
Have a committee meeting with yourself re the 2010 fete it is a big undertaking.You will need a good deputy to assist you.
Do the cake tasting like wine, chew it and spit it out.Then you will have the space for lunch.