Friday 3 April 2009

operating theatre

On letting the hens out this morning I took the poorly one and put her in a box in the garage so that she couldn't eat or drink anything.
At ten o'clock Ann and I moved into the operating theatre and prepared the hen for surgery. We hypnotised her first before tying her legs together. We then more or less wrapped her in an old towel and taking a scalpel I cut a three inch slice into her crop. There was very little blood but we were amazed about the amount of what seemed like long matted grass that was contained in the crop. It took ages to get it all out and the smell was vile! Then we tried to superglue the wound but it wouldn't stick due to the wetness so I had to stitch it with purple cotton. I then clarted the wound with anti biotic cream and prising open her beak gave her a small asprin. She was very quiet and seemed to know that we were trying to help her.
she is now asleep in the box but seems to be o.k. Only time will tell now, as the wound needs to heal. She cannot have food or drink for twenty four hours and then only yoghurt and soft things etc,
I have told Ann that she should give a talk to the W.I entitled " My time as a theatre nurse in Grahams garage"
must go. Am making curry.
Sheila x

2 comments:

Mary Sue said...

My goodness, from operating in theatre to curry in the cocina. I feel inadequate.

Sheila or Graham said...

The patient is recovering in my new lawnmower box,or recovery ward as the "Surgeons " would like to refer to it,good job I bought the lawnmower the box is a great private ward. Graham