Friday 13 August 2010

garden party

I think I forgot to tell you about the neighbours garden party. They have it every year and it's a big occasion. There is an abundance of food and drink and it goes on from about 2pm until after midnight. there are games such as cricket and egg and spoon races for the kids and anyone can play. One year we took my sister Susan. She enjoyed it greatly. Anyway this year Graham decided that he didn't want to go. ( he regards putting clean clothes on as a punishment) so I said I would go just for a little while just to be sociable. How good were the old men who had just come back from France, having attended the D.day landings? they showed us photo's and talked to us at length about their exploits during the war. I love anything like that. I hope it's something me or mine never have to experience. I particularly loved one old guy who had this conversation;-

"And how did you feel about killing germans?"
" Well, I knew if I killed him, his mother would recieve a telegram and would be very upset"
"On the other hand, if he killed me, my mother would recieve a telegram and be very upset"
"I thought that I would prefer his mother to be upset rather then mine!"

Oh and I forgot to tell you that throughout all this talk and eating I was drinking the local cider.
Now Graham and I have been trying to find this cider maker for a few months and here was a great big box full. Of course when you are talking and it's interesting, you lose track of time and of how much you have drunk.! I was amazed to look at my watch and see how long I had been there. To be honest I couldn't see my watch very clearly and my head was starting to spin a bit so I filled a glass with cider and decided to take it home for Graham. Now our nieghbours live about a hundred yards across the road and I don't know how I managed to weave through the speeding cars without spilling the cider but I arrived home all giggly, only to find that we had visitors who looked at me open mouthed!!
but that's another story.

2 comments:

Sheila or Graham said...

I don't know how anyone can drink to excess like that,Graham

Mike Saif said...

Grumpy old Graham...doesn't want to go to the party. I agree Sheila, I find that stuff interesting.