Tuesday 10 May 2011

Highs and lows.

Yesterday was a day of intense emotions, both good and bad, It was of course my great niece, Naomi's funeral.
We travelled up to Sheffield, where we haven't been for a couple of years, and went to my sister Jean's for lunch. It was a great delight to see her as I have been so worried about the illness she has acquired. she didn't look as ill as I had thought she would although she has lost a lot of weight. Also my daughter Gina and son in law Andrew came for lunch which was lovely. I do miss having a gang of people eating and ribbing each other.
When we got to the crematorium at Grenoside it was back to sadness again. My brother in law Val walked down a path and we didn't recognise him. He looked so old and careworn. We were all in tears by the time we had all finished hugging him. His wife, my sister Pat is still in hospital having had major surgery.
Then there was joy in seeing all my family again. All my sisters, their husbands and their children and grandchildren. Some of the kids are so grown that they are like giants. Liam came, bless him. He is about six feet tall and still a daft lad.
The crematorium was full and Naomi was carried in to Michael Jackson's "Thriller"
There were wonderful eulogies from naomi's grandad,friends and Naomi's old headteacher, who mentioned Liam in passing!
It was hard to realise that we will never see Naomi again. She was such a vibrant, intelligent and focussed girl. I hope she rests in peace.
Afterwards it was good to sit and talk to all the friends and family. Naturally the best conversation was outside with the smokers!
Naomi's dentist made us laugh when he congratulated Graham on his " dentists being down in the mouth joke" He said he hadn't heard it for years.!
Soon it was time to come home. I am so glad that we no longer live in Sheffield. You only realise what you have got when you contrast it with what my sisters have got. i.e crowded housing, too much traffic and noise etc.
It is sad that I don't see my family very often now but it's a trade off between living here and there.
All in all it was a sad day but that's life!

1 comment:

Mike Saif said...

I would loved to have seen Val. And I too miss being around lots of family.