Saturday 14 May 2011

Cup final

There we were,having just enjoyed the cup final. I went into the kitchen to start dinner. Where I was shocked to see a fox eating one of my hens. I screamed and Graham came running. he was of course unable to do anything and when we went out into the field there were no hens left, only piles of feathers in the dyke. Graham got his gun and went after the fox but it had gone to it's lair in our neighbours wood. As my daughter Gina said " The fox doesn't know it has done anything wrong and it is being a good mother feeding her young" She is right of course. It's nature but it still upset us.
As there was nothing on T.V. I decided to go and clean out the hen hut so that we could shut it up until we decide whether or not we will have any more chickens. to my surprise there was one of the hens cowering in there. she must have escaped and been hiding. She will have to be kept as a prisoner I'm afraid in case the fox comes back.
At least I have learned one lesson. There will be no more expensive hens. it will be cheap and cheerful from now on.

3 comments:

Mike Saif said...

Sorry Sheila but I can't help but laugh. And Gina is right. It's just nature.

Mary Sue said...

I'm envisioning Graham chasing out the door with his shotgun, like Elmer Fudd after that darn wabbit.

Sheila or Graham said...

I exhausted my entire vocabulary of Australian words in a few seconds,not a darn,or pesky amongst them. I now shall conduct a vendetta against all foxes.graham