Wednesday 10 November 2010

R.I.P.

One of my chickens who has been poorly for a couple of days, died during the night yesterday so now I am down to 3 of my original 9 Isa Warrens. She was gang banged by the two cockerels and couldn't get back to her feet she was so weak. I tried all the usual things with her, Asprin, milky porridge and a blanket warmed in the microwave but to no avail. They are funny things hens. They seem to give up the ghost.
I have been trying to dispatch one of the cockerels, but each time I catch it ( a feat in itself ) I hold it by the neck for a while and then feel sorry for it and let it go! Graham says I am a moral coward because I shouldn't expect someone else to do my dirty work. I think that is his way of saying "don't ask me!"
Even if I did manage to dispatch it we wouldn't eat it, so it seems like a waste of a life. A bit like fox hunting.
Not much else to report. the weather is dreadful. It's dark again before it gets light. just the usual!
sheila x

No comments: