Friday 30 May 2008

What a performance!

Well......... Everybody told me that the chickens must have their wings clipped or they would fly away. Thats easier said then done. if you could have seen me and Graham chasing them around the garden, trying to catch them! we eventually decided to trap them in the shed. I covered the doorway with a sheet and Graham tried to grab one. long story short is that we managed to do Two but the others were so distressed that we hadn't the heart to carry on. now the girls don't trust me and instead of running to me like they used to they run away and cower! One even went under Grahams shed and didn't come out for hours! I do think it's a bit cruel although the actual wing clipping didn't appear to hurt and I am a bit concerned when I see one of the girls high up in the Apple tree. However somebody else will have to do the other four as I can't bring myself to upset the girls anymore.
Graham's gone bowling so I am home alone. The Glaziers have just gone. They have been replacing some of the windows that were fogging up. Another £275.00. no wonder I've never got any money!
Love Sheila x

4 comments:

Mary Sue said...

So, did Marigold get her wings clipped? I hope you didn't scar her for life!

sonia said...

You will have to come to Sheffield for lessons in the art of subduing chickens. You put your arms out and pretend to be a big bird , they crouch and put their wings out and you bend down and snatch them one at a time. Yours are still young and frisky, they will recover from the trauma, more to the point will you???
I can offer chicken counselling at a pensioners rate if required?

Mike Saif said...

Sheila, those poor chickens. It could affect their laying habits. Just wait until you kill and eat them.

Mary Sue said...

Sheila, I was just thinking. If you eat a chicken who's been traumatized, it could be bad karma, so be sure you get back into their good graces before doing them in and eating them. Gail, who works for us, was telling me how she took chickens to some Mennonites for butchering/dressing (whatever you call it) and they were all singing as they did their job. Now, that's good karma.