Monday 26 April 2010

We are a grandmother!

No don't panic.It's nothing to do with Gina and Andrew. my wild ducks have hatched. there are about ten although it's difficult to be sure as they are all jumping around in the nest. There are still some eggs that haven't hatched yet but I don't know how much longer the mother can control the unruly youngsters. No photo's yet, mother pecked me when I got too close so I don't want to upset her.My worry is now, how is she going to get them to water. Graham has put a paint tray of water down for them but it's no substitute for a pond or dyke.
My black hen is still sitting on the two duck eggs which will hatch in about two weeks, so I am watching the wild ducks like a hawk, to see what they do.
my white hen is still sitting on 5 chicken eggs. they should hatch in two weeks as well.
I am out tonight . The W.I. has brought a famous artist, Pollyiana Pickering to talk to us.

1 comment:

Mike Saif said...

All exciting stuff.